Saturday, October 20, 2007

Grails Exchange was pretty eerrrm... Groovy!

I attended the Grails Exchange from 16 - 19 october 2007 and that was absolutely great. Great talks by great speakers, many leading different open source projects incl of course the 2 men it was all about these days: Guillaume Laforge (Groovy project lead) and Graeme Rocher (Grails project lead). Couple of nice down to earth kinda guys (I've got their autographs as well as Dirck Koenig's in my new 'Groovy in Action' book :-) Thanx guys.

Subjects handled included Grails, Groovy but there was also a lot on testing of code e.g. with GroovyTestCase (Jeff Brown had some good stuff on that) and I was very impressed by Alex Popescu's talk about TestNG. This lifts the whole concept of testing to a higher level.
Instead of having multiple mechanisms and/or frameworks doing the testing (JUnit, Canoo WebTest, JMeter etc) you can now perform almost any kind of test with TestNG.
You can read the whole story about it at http://testng.org/doc/index.html
It's using JDK5 annotations and one of the great features is the is uses DataProviders so you will not actually have to rely on anything outside of the test environment like e.g. a database.

I spoke to almost all the attendees; each and everyone of them having a great story to tell about their reason of being there.

Finally I want to give my compliments to skills Matter for setting the whole thing up - it was perfect.
All in all I can honestly say this was the best conference I've been to in my programming career. Conclusion: I'll be there next year!

3 comments:

Jeff Brown said...

Ronald,

Outstanding! It is great to hear that this has been the best conference of your programming career. I hope to see you again next year.

Happy Grooving! :)



Jeff

Scott Hickey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Scott Hickey said...

Ronald,

I really enjoyed the interaction with all of the attendees and speakers as well. It was great meeting you - the hallway conversations were at least as good as the presentations.